Transport infrastructure / airports
Refurbishment and expansion of existing building facilities and new building facilities at Skiathos international airport, Greece
Client: Intrakat S.A.
Date: 2017 – 2021
Construction costs: approx. € 15 million
Fraport Regional Airports of Greece was established for the 40-year concession for the upgrade, maintenance, management and operation of 14 regional airports in Greece. The concession entails designing, developing, engineering, procuring, constructing, commissioning, maintaining, operating, managing, owning and financing the airports over the 40 years. As a first step, the concessionaire is required to undertake certain Imminent Refurbishment and Expansion Works under ongoing operation. The aforementioned works included and had as a main focus the passenger terminal and other secondary buildings. All construction works are to be executed under ongoing operation.
For the airport on the island of Skiathos (JSI) an extension and complete refurbishment and reconfiguration of the existing terminal building is required to address the surging tourist loads. The extended/reconfigured terminal building, with a GFA of 7,000 m², can accommodate 500 passengers at peak hour and 0.4 million passengers annually. Furthermore, a new firefighting building is to replace the existing one, with increased capacity to cover the response times set.
Construction designed in phases under ongoing operation with gradual transfer of operations from existing to new terminal.
OBERMEYER’s assignment embraces the provision of architectural and other related services for the Works Contractor.
The scope of services included the architectural design and the fire and life safety, acoustic design, signage, energy efficiency and phasing studies. The design process comprises three stages:
- Concept Design
- Permit Design
- Detailed Design
All designs are subject to the approval of the Independent Engineer (AECOM), as required by the Greek State to ensure the Concessionaire’s adherence to the project requirements.
- Geodetic (topographical) surveys
- Geotechnical Surveys
– Detailed design for all Civil Works (substructure, superstructure, structures)
- alignment – substructure
- railway superstructure
- retaining walls, culverts
- formation setting
- railway stations and halts, including buildings, platforms, and canopies etc.
- disposal sites / borrow pits
- Design of signalling and telecommunication systems
– Design of electrification system
– Technical Specifications for Interlocking and Communication Equipment.
– Electrification Design
- Technical part (arising from the approved designs)
- Legal part: Procurement Plan, Tender Documents, Prequalification Documents, Evaluation Reports, Special Conditions of FIDIC Contract